U.P. #833 is the crown jewel of the museum collection. American Locomotive Company built here in October1939. She weighs in at a healthy 454tons, engine and tender, and is 113 ft 10 1/8 Inches long. She has 80-inch diameter drivers and is balanced for a speed of 90 MPH, and officially ran as fast as a 110 MPH, and unofficially a fleet 120 MPH. The locomotive operates at a boiler pressure of 300 lbs. It has a computed horsepower of 4100 at a speed of 67 MPH. The 833 were used to pull passenger and express trains, which ran through Ogden. At the end of the steam era, she was used to pull fast freight trains. She was retired in 1957 and set on the scrapper track at Cheyenne, Wyoming. She was donated to the City of Salt Lake in 1972. Her tender is of a centipede wheel arrangement. It can hold 23,500 gals of water and 6,000 gals of fuel oil. There are four of these type of locomotives preserved. One is in Council Bluffs, Nebraska, two in Cheyenne, Wyoming, (one of which is the famous U.P. 844 the railroad’s only steam engine that has never been officially retired. It is used on excursions and other special runs.), and the 833 here in Ogden. She was moved here from Pioneer Park in Salt Lake City on February 21, 1999. It was the largest steam locomotive ever moved by trailer. The local Job Corps painted the locomotive including the cab interior and new numbers and lettering has been applied.
UNION PACIFIC CENTENNIAL LOCOMOTIVE
General Motors Electro-Motive Division built U. P. DDA40X #6916 in November of 1969. It weighs 542,432 Ibis, or 270 Tons. That is 5 times what a fully loaded Boeing 727 aircraft weighs. It used two Model 645E3A V-16 diesel engines, each one rated at 3,300 HP each for a total of 6,600 HP. She measures 98 ft 5 in. long. The fuel tank holds 8,230 gals of diesel fuel, and by itself full weighs in at 30 Tons. The locomotive had a 59/ 18-gear ratio with a maximum speed of 91 mph. The U.P. re-geared the Centennials back down to 62/15 ratios before retirement making them more compatible with other freight locomotives. Maximum speed was then about 72 mph. There are several of these engines preserved. One, U.P. 6936, is still in service being used for executive and occasional freight trains. #6916 was retired by the railroad May 16,1985 and donated to the museum January 1986.
UTAH CENTRAL 44-TON LOCOMOTIVE
General Electric built this former Utah Central locomotive in January 1953. It was originally a U.S. military locomotive that was donated to the museum. Since it was still operational, it was leased to the Utah Central by the museum and then returned to us after completion of the lease.
UNION PACIFIC GAS TURBINE LOCOMOTIVE
U.P. #26 the General Electric Co. “World’s Most Powerful Locomotive” was built in February 1961. It weighs 849,248 Ibs without the tender. It developed a starting tractive effort of 212,312 Ibs. It was capable of moving 735 fully loaded freight cars equal to a train 7 miles long at a speed of 12 MPH. The C-C style trucks had 40-inch diameter wheels to go with a 74/18 gear ratio giving a top speed of 65 MPH. At 18 mph, the giant locomotive developed a continuous tractive effort of 146,000 Ibs. The 8500 HP three-unit locomotive is 178 ft 11 1/4 in. long including the fuel tender, which was a former steam engine tender as indicated by the rivets. The tender had a capacity of 24,384 gals of Bunker C fuel oil. The exhaust temperature of the turbine was 850 degrees F. The air passed through the turbine at a velocity of 1600 MPH. The air intake used 320,000 cubic feet per minute, the equivalent to the amount of air breathed by one half million people in one day. The locomotive also contained an 850 HP diesel engine that was used to start the turbine and move the unit around the yards. Turbine #26 was retired February 28,1970. It was the next to last turbine to operate on the railroad. Its last run was December 18, 1969. Number 26 ran a total of 1,007,853 miles in its lifetime. This one of very few complete “Big Blows” that has survived.
D&RG FROM UP
SOUTHERN PACIFIC SD-45 7457
First model SD-45 freight locomotive built for the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1966. Originally numbered 8800, #7457 was the first of 356 units delivered to SP, which had the cylinder 645 diesel engines powered the SD-45 with 3600 horsepower. It was used to pull freight from Ogden to the west coast over Donner Summit. It was acquired by the museum February 5, 2002.
SANTA FE/UTAH RAILWAY RSD-15 #401
Utah Railway #401 is an ALCO 2400 HP diesel freight locomotive of the early 1960’s. It contains a 16 cylinder 4 cycle Model 251 diesel engine and weights 382,400 Ibs. It was built for the Santa Fe in July 1959. It was used for freight trains until retired when the Utah Railway purchased it for use on coal trains over Solider Summit. It was sold for scrap in 1983. The Promontory Chapter of the NRHS rescued the unit and sold it to Broken Arrow Inc. at Clive, UT. Where it worked for several years. It was acquired in a trade to the museum in May 1998. The most distinguishing feature is the long low hood, which has earned this type of locomotive the nickname of “ Alligators”.
Presently stored behind the Trainman’s Building at the North end of the Station, locomotive #223, sans cab, awaiting restoration. The tender and cab is being rebuilt in the museum shop building at the north end of the Union Station (see below). Boxcar 3576, Gondola 1051, and Caboose complete the train set.
U.S. ARMY DAVENPORT 44-TON SWITCHER #1216
This locomotive was built by Davenport for light switching service. The 44-ton name came about because of a 1937 labor agreement that protected fireman’s jobs on diesels above that weight. This engine is the largest possible under that agreement that could be operated by one person. The locomotive had a rated horsepower of 400. They were built between 1940-1956. #1216 saw service at the Tooele Army Depot before being obtained by the Utah State Railroad Museum.
U.S.A.F. ALCO S-2 DIESEL SWITCHER
Built 1940-1950, 1000 H.P. 6 cylinder turbocharged diesel engine. It was in service at Hill Field, Utah until donated to the Utah State Railroad Museum.
U.S.A.F. GENERAL ELECTRIC 44-TON SWITCHER
These locomotives were built with low cabs in order to be transported easily by ship for use in overseas service. Several were donated to the museum by the military. When in service they transported materiel around the bases including Hill field and the Tooele Army Depot.
UP CLASS S-51, 0-6-0 SWITCHER 4436
The Baldwin Locomotive Works built #4436 in March 1918. It is 60’ 8” including tender and weighs 146.6 tons. It did yard service, possibly in Ogden, and retired September 6, 1958 when it was donated to the city of Ogden and displayed in a public park. When the Utah State Railroad Museum was established it was moved to its present location and given a new coat of black paint. Thanks go to John Lindquist for his assistance.
SOUTHERN PACIFIC GP-9 #3769
General Motors Electro-Motive Division built the GP-9 locomotive from January 1954 until December 1959. There were a total of 4092 units built. A model 567c V-16 diesel engine powered the locomotive. It was rated at 1750 HP. It was used for freight and passenger trains though out the country this is a typical locomotive as used in 1950’s. This type engine is still used for short line and switching service.
UNION PACIFIC CA-l CABOOSE
Union Pacific 2624 renumbered to 25766 was built in January 1921 by the American Car & Foundry for Oregon and Northwestern (a UP subsidiary) and used by the line until it closed. It was retired November 1971 and restored in April 1972 by the U.P. It was donated to the museum in 1979, and delivered in 1981.
UTAH CENTRAL CABOOSE
Originally this was Union Pacific Class CA-all extended platform caboose #25880. It was built July 1979 by the International Car Company and retired by the U.P. on January 1989. It was donated to the museum, which leased it to the Utah Central.
SOUTHERN PACIFIC BAY WINDOW CABOOSE 1555
Built in August 1961. One of the last cabooses to operate with a boxcar type draft-gear. It was used in the Tucson, AZ. area until donated to the museum. (note, this caboose may be located inside the Eccles Rail Center to prevent vandalism)
SOUTHERN PACIFIC CABOOSE 4666
This is a bay window style steel caboose built in March 1966.
RIO GRANDE CABOOSE 01504
An extended vision caboose built in June 1966.
RIO GRANDE CABOOSE
This is an offset cupola steel caboose built in October 1947. It is one of the very first cabooses that were outfitted with wireless radio.
UP CABOOSE 25176
This is a CA-4 steel caboose built around 1944. It was considered the Rolls Royce of cabooses with an exceptional ride for the crewmembers.
KENNECOTT MINING COMPANY CABOOSE #425
Used in the Bingham Canyon Mine on the ore trains. Two of these were obtained by the museum. One was modified as an exhibit inside the museum building as part of the Utah State Railroad Museum.
BOX AND BAGGAGE CARS
U.S.A.F. TARGET/BAGGAGE CAR
Originally a Baltimore and Ohio baggage car. It was converted for use as a scoring crew support car for the Strategic Air Command (SAC). The scoring crew evaluated the performance of the B-52 bombing crew as they “bombed” the target car. It was once filled with electronic monitoring equipment.
UNION PACIFIC BOX CAR
A typical boxcar of the 1940-1960 era. This car is a UP class B50-21. During regular service, it was used as a grain car. It was last used in maintenance of way service.
U.S.A.F BOX CARS
These two former Air Force cars are examples of both an older style car and a newer boxcar. The main difference is the type of trucks being used. The newer type is the sleeve or friction bearing trucks and the older type is the roller bearing trucks.
FRENCH 40 & 8 “MERCI” CAR
In 1947, citizens of the U. S. sent aid to France through a private relief effort. The French responded in 1949 with the “French Gratitude Train” or “The Merci Train”. It consisted of 49 box cars sent to each state filled with items donated by the people of France. This is Utah’s car also known as a 40 and 8 car because it could hold 48 men or 8 horses. It was built in the 1870’s or 80’s by Chantier de la Buire (Builders of Buire) at Lyons, France. They were used in World Wars I and II. The car resided in Salt Lake City
For 52 years until damaged by a tornado in the late 90’s. It was then stored at the State Parks Department lot. A group of local veterans, calling themselves the “40 & 8”, were able to obtain the car and move it to the museum for restoration on June 22, 2002. Their goal is to restore the car much as it looked when delivered to Utah.
RESTORED WORKING CARS
UNION PACIFIC #5819 POSTAL MAIL STORAGE CAR
U.P. #5819 is an example of the type of car pulled in passenger trains that served the Post Office. When the U.S. Mail moved by rail, the car contained a complete post office, and the mail was sorted in route. Mail could be picked up or dropped off while the train was at speed. The American Car & Foundry Co. built the car in September 1949. It was originality painted in the U.P. passenger colors of Armor Yellow and Harbor Mist Gray and did service on the Oregon Short Line to deliver mail through southern Idaho. It was moved to maintenance of way service in the 1960’s when the railroads lost the mail contracts to the airlines and trucking. It was repainted into maintenance of way Green and renumbered. It has now been restored by the museum to the original yellow and gray livery with original number.
U .S. ARMY HOSPITAL CAR
This car is example of the type of car used to move wounded by rail once they arrived back from overseas. It was basically a hospital ward on wheels and could provide all needed services. This particular car was rescued from the back lot of the Smith & Edwards Surplus Store in Willard, Utah, Sept 2001. It has been restored by the Golden Spike Chapter of the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society to what it would have looked like during WWII. There is an exhibit of period memorabilia by the Weber County chapter of the Red Cross. Ask a museum conductor if you would like a tour inside the car.
OTHER ROLLING STOCK & MAINTENANCE
UNION PACIFIC CHAIR CAR
This car was built in 1942 as a coach and reworked in 1969 as the “GOLDEN SPIKE CENTENNIAL EXPO” car for use with the Golden Spike Centennial celebration. It still has the 1969 paint job even though it is faded. It also unusual in that it still has the original as build trucks. The car contains custom-built display cases from the Expo.
Used most recently as a power car for the Heber Creeper but originally built for the Navy for use at Mina, NV. (Probably) using an old steam locomotive tender frame and trucks. It was then used at the Freeport Center in Ogden until sold for scrap. The Heber Creeper purchased it from scrap dealer and did the conversion. We are looking for the plow.
2002 WINTER OLYMPICS TORCH CAR
The torch car was originally built for 1996 Atlanta Olympics torch train. The car was rebuilt in Kansas City, using the original car as the base. The wall and the cauldron were replaced and applied the new design scheme for the 2002 Olympics. Several mechanical changes lit while running at 70 MPH and not go out. Seven propane tanks were used, each holding 250 gals. They can provide enough fuel to last for 3 days. Electrical work also was done to make the cauldron more visible at night and a hose sound system was installed.
250-TON WRECKING DERRICK
Former Missouri Pacific X-250 was acquired when the two railroads merged. American Hoist and Derrick Co. built the derrick in 1967. It was capable of lifting 250 tons. It was powered by a diesel engine and mainly used to clean up wrecks. It was originally assigned to North Little Rock, Arkansas. It was stored in Salt Lake City in the early 1990’s until donated to the museum by Dennis Durbano.
SALT LAKE & UTAH EXPRESS TRAILER
The Salt Lake & Utah Railroad “The Orem Line”, ran 67 miles from Salt Lake City to Payson with abandonment coming in 1946. One of their pieces of rolling stock, express trailer Number 851 has surprisingly survived and is now the property of the Utah State Railroad Museum. The forty-foot long express trailer number 851 was built by Niles in 1914 specifically for hauling milk, but in its long lifetime it has hauled almost everything possible. As built, it was steel sheathed up to the belt line and wood sheathed above with the frame a combination of steel and wood. It had four windows as originally built but they were plated over during the 1922 rebuilding when the car received full height steel sheathing.
The car was used as storage shed in Granger, Utah. Until just recently when the property changed hands, the new owner, understanding the significance of the car, donated it to the museum. Almost all the paint is gone, but there are a few pieces of the original red paint still visible. Surprisingly, all the lettering from 1922 is still visible. The interior is still almost original, but weathered, and one can see were the windows were boarded up on the inside when the car was remodeled.
WILSON CAR LINES REFRIGERATOR CARS
These two cars are sequentially numbered 2571 and 2572. They served the Wilson Meat Packing Company of Ogden. The cars were built in 1957.
FUEL TANK CAR
One of two tank cars donated to the museum by the military. It represents a more modern tank car using bulkheads.
UNION PACIFIC ROTARY SNOW PLOW
This piece of equipment was obtained from Spokane Washington. Little is known of its past history. OWRN stands for Oregon Washington Railway Navigation Company. It is an oil fired steam powered device with a fuel and water tender. It did not have traction power, which required it to be pushed in front of a locomotive.
UNION PACIFIC CRANE CAR
Donated by the Union Pacific Railroad. It was also an oil fired steam powered piece of equipment.
One of two tankers donated to the museum by the military. It represents an earlier style tank of singular wall construction without bulkheads.
The U.S. Air Force at Hill Field donated the water tower to the museum. The Golden Spike Chapter of the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society took on the task of restoring the tower and installing it alongside Museum Track #1 in 1999 where it has been used to fill the tender of Union Pacific’s Steam Locomotives 844 and 3985. Most recently the 844 was serviced in October 2012.
This guide was originally conceived and written by Stan Jennings and Fred Baney February 20, 2002, revised February 24, 2003 Further revision and additions of text and photos made by Lee Witten May 2004 2nd revision September 2005 Note: Some equipment may have been moved to other locations or disposed of after This guide was published.